Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - More compensation sought for fireworks death

More compensation sought for fireworks death

People stand at the site of a firework explosion in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district last October. The explosion killed one person and injured seven others.
People stand at the site of a firework explosion in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district last October. The explosion killed one person and injured seven others. Eli Meixler

More compensation sought for fireworks death

On the one-year anniversary of the death of 22-year-old Na Kry Daro, who lost his life to a tragic fireworks accident during public celebrations marking the 10th anniversary of King Norodom Sihamoni’s coronation, his grieving parents yesterday renewed calls for compensation.

The university student was taking part in festivities in the capital’s Chroy Changvar district when a fireworks canister set up by soldiers exploded, sending debris into the crowd. The misfire injured seven people and killed Kry Daro at the scene.

As the celebratory fireworks once again sounded over Phnom Penh last night, Kry Daro’s mother Phan Chhun Teng called for the government to offer greater assistance.

“We had one son and one daughter, and now we have lost him; I am in grief,” she said. “We are in hard times now because all of my land was sold to support his studies in hopes that his salary would support the whole family, but everything went wrong and now I am hopeless.”

While the family accepted about $2,000 from the committee behind the display in the wake of the tragedy, they claim that the compensation has proved inadequate.

“Please, Samdech [Hun Sen] kindly gives us some aid. The people who died during the water festival and national holidays, their families received compensation,” she said, referring to the victims of a 2010 stampede on Koh Pich.

The families of victims of the stampede were each allotted about $1,200 from the government and were reportedly given a $2,000 donation by then-governor Kep Chuktema, as well as additional private donations.

City Hall spokesman Long Dimanche reiterated yesterday that the family had been compensated and declined to comment further.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all