Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Naga workers' court questioning delayed

Naga workers' court questioning delayed

Naga workers' court questioning delayed

Street vendors pause for a rest outside NagaWorld Hotel and Casino. Phnom Penh Municipal Court has granted 14 workers implicated in a complaint filed by the casino’s human resources director more time to prepare for questioning.

Laid-off employees in incitement complaint given more time to prepare, find attorneys.

PHNOM Penh Municipal Court has granted 14 former NagaWorld Hotel and Casino employees more time to find attorneys and prepare for questioning in relation to an incitement complaint filed against them last month by Naga's human resources director, Deputy Prosecutor Hing Bunchea told the Post Sunday.

Naga Human Resources Director Gregory Goh filed the incitement, defamation and false information complaint, which pertains to an ongoing labour dispute, on July 20, Hing Bunchea told the Post last week.

Naga executives have repeatedly said that the 14 workers, who were fired in February, lost their jobs due to poor performance.

The workers, along with members of the Cambodian Tourism and Service Workers Federation, which represents 1,000 Naga workers, have said that the layoffs stemmed from a dispute over annual bonuses.

Union leaders have in recent weeks said several times that they would strike if the workers were not reinstated.

Sok Narith said the 14 laid-off workers went to Municipal Court on Thursday to inquire about the complaint.

At least five of the employees were summonsed to appear at the court between last Thursday and today. All 14 former Naga employees went to the court Thursday and asked to have the appearances delayed until August 10.

"We told the court that we needed more time to prepare ourselves, to seek lawyers and to study the charges that the company has filed against us," he said.

Hing Bunchea confirmed on Sunday that the questioning sessions had been delayed, saying they would likely last from August 10 to August 12. He told the Post last week that he issued the summonses so as to investigate the case.


  • Professor beaten by mob in Phnom Penh after alleged hit-and-run

    Updated with new information: 6:44am, Tuesday March 13 2018 A university professor accused of a hit-and-run has been transported to Vietnam with serious head injuries after he was brutally beaten by a mob in Phnom Penh late Sunday afternoon. A video of the attack shows a group

  • American ‘fugitive’ arrested in Cambodia outside of US Embassy

    An American citizen was arrested on request by the US Embassy in Phnom Penh on Tuesday, according to Cambodian police. Major General Uk Hei Sela, chief of investigations at the Department of Immigration, identified the man as American Jan Sterling Hagen, and said he was

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of