Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Naga, workers in talks over labour dispute

Naga, workers in talks over labour dispute

Naga, workers in talks over labour dispute

FOUR workers who were sacked by the NagaWorld Hotel and Casino last year met with company representatives on Monday in an attempt to settle a labour dispute that has stretched for more than a year.

Sok Narith, the vice president of the Cambodian Tourism and Service Workers Federation (CTSWF), and one of the workers involved in the dispute, said the four had submitted a proposal outlining several scenarios under which they might return to work, though a definitive solution was not reached.

“We are waiting to see the response from the management of NagaWorld,” Sok Narith said. “We expect to have more discussions because we want to end the dispute as soon as possible.”

The four workers – Sok Narith, Leuk Phin, Pich Sovatey and Sophann Dara – are active union members belonging to a group of 14 NagaWorld employees dismissed in February of last year over what they say was a dispute about bonuses.

NagaWorld, however, says the group were dismissed as a result of poor performance.

The other 10 members of the group have since returned to work.

In Monday’s meeting, Sok Narith said the workers offered to return to work without receiving back pay.

Company representatives, however, were not convinced that the workers should be reinstated and proposed instead that the CTSWF raise money to provide them a severance package, Sok Narith added.

Kong Soklim, human resources officer at NagaWorld with resposibility for labour disputes, met with the workers on Monday but declined to comment, saying she was too busy to answer questions.

On February 16, the Secretariat of the Arbitration Council, a conflict-resolution body associated with the Ministry of Labour, issued a verdict instructing NagaWorld to allow union members to carry out their activities on company premises and to reinstate the four workers.

The company, however, has declined to abide by this non-binding ruling.

In July, NagaWorld filed a complaint with Phnom Penh Municipal Court accusing the 14 workers dismissed in February 2009 of defamation and incitement, though the court rejected the lawsuit in October.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all