Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - NagaWorld strikers told: back to work

NagaWorld strikers told: back to work

Labour relations

Hundreds of workers from NagaWorld are no closer to having their demands for a wage increase met after they were told yesterday that casino management will not negotiate with them until they end their strike and go back to work.

“There was no result,” said Sok Narith, a union representative who attended a meeting with company and municipal officials at City Hall. Narith said that during the two-hour meeting, Phnom Penh deputy governor Khuong Sreng had not addressed the workers’ demands, choosing instead to focus on the strike itself, which began last week.

“City Hall and the company demanded we go back to work. Only then will they continue negotiating,” Narith said. “We will not make a decision until we speak to the strikers.”

Police and security guards cracked down on strikers outside the casino on Tuesday, briefly detaining 19 workers and union leaders. Workers remained on strike at about 7pm last night, some distance from the casino.

Sreng could not be reached for comment.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

The final results from the National Election Committee for the June 4 commune elections show the Cambodian People’s Party taking 1,156 communes to

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s