The Cambodian chief of security at the Khmer Rouge tribunal said his team has never denied any requests to provide security for investigators at the UN-backed court because they have not received any such requests.
Lieutenant General Mao Chandara, also a deputy national police commissioner, told the Post yesterday that there were no security risk issues at the court.
“Our forces closely cooperate with the UN side on security issues,” Mao Chandara said. “[But] we cannot send forces out into the field with [UN-appointed investigators] unless there is an agreement within the co-investigating judges.”
Mao Chandara added that he had not received any requests from the office of co-investigating judges or a letter from the office of administration requesting security assistance since former co-investigating judge Siegfried Blunk resigned.
“I have never received any request from [international reserve co-investigating judge] Laurent Kasper Ansermet for assistance,” he said.
A source told the Post on Monday there had been communication from the Security Section to the international judges’ office telling him that his “security could no longer be guaranteed”.
Under the rules of the court, the Cambodian government must provide the court, via the Security Section, with regular analysis of security trends in the Kingdom and also an immediate notification of any threats to international personnel.
To contact the reporter on this story: Cheang Sokha at firstname.lastname@example.org