Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Not over yet: Floods abate but officials still cautious

Not over yet: Floods abate but officials still cautious

The death roll from flooding reached 35 yesterday, even as the Mekong’s waters in Cambodia gradually receded, National Committee for Disaster Management president Nhim Vanda said.

While lower parts of the Mekong flooded last week because waters retreated in its upper parts, all affected areas are now experiencing a steady decline in water levels, said Mao Hak, director of the Hydrological Department at the Ministry of Water Resources and Meteorology.

“The water is going down step by step, but it could be up at the end of the month or in early September,” he said.

Although the situation is slowly improving, Hak appealed for people living along flooded areas to remain cautious.

In a Council of Ministers meeting on July 15, Prime Minister Hun Sen advised all local and provincial authorities to take action for peoples’ safety in case floodwaters were to rise again.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bomb saw

Diving for bombs

In the murky waters of the Mekong, brave men recover a 500-pound Vietnam War-era bomb and defuse it.

Mayaguez

Mayaguez remembered

Seven former US servicemen revisit the site in Cambodia of the disastrous final battle of the Vietnam War 40 years later.

Hanuman statue returned

10th-century statue depicting the Hindu god Hanuman returned after evidence of theft.