Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Official suspected of visa scam

Official suspected of visa scam

Official suspected of visa scam

Chey Sambo, Under-Secretary of State at the Ministry of Tourism (MoT), has been placed

under investigation for allegedly falsifying documents in order to obtain travel

visas to the United States.

Minister at the MoT, Veng Sereyvuth, said he would personally head an investigation

into the matter.

"It's premature to be making any accusation. We'll cooperate [on the investigation]

with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs," he said.

Sambo, the son-in-law of co-Minister for the Ministry of Interior, You Hokry, is

being investigated for allegedly falsely claiming that five people were employees

of the MoT and traveling to the US as part of an official delegation.

The five people, whose passports are consecutively numbered, were listed by the Ministry

of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation as a employees at the MoT in a letter

to the US Embassy. The letter requested that Sambo and five others be given visas

"to attend a tourism advertising mission in Washington DC, New York, California

and Seattle, to be held on the end of 2001".

"We can confirm that those five individuals are not officials of the Ministry,"

Sereyvuth told the Post.

A faxed and unsigned statement, that apparently emanated from within MoT, claimed

that it was not the first time that Sambo, who is himself a US citizen, had used

his position in this way. The statement alleged that "those who intend to live

in the United States" had paid between $15,000 and $20,000 to Sambo and another

MoT official to get listed on visa request letters.

The five had been given various fake titles as officials at the finance and planning

departments and "assistance" (sic) to Sambo and to the Minister himself.

The result, according to the statement, was that the US embassy had been "coerced"

into granting the visas.

Secretary of State at the MoT, Thong Khon, said that it was not possible to confirm

how many times the alleged visa scam had been pulled.

"We don't how long this has gone on, we don't know if it's the first time or

the second. We'll just have to wait for the investigation," he said.

According to the faxed statement, the US embassy discovered that the members of the

delegation were not officials. However, spokesman Ken Foster said that the embassy

was unaware of the situation.

The investigation comes little more than a week after a high ranking official from

the National Authority for Combating Drugs (NACD) was charged with drugs trafficking.

Colonel Sok Sophak, personal aide to NACD head, Em Sam An, was arrested along with

three others at Phnom Penh's Pacific Hotel in possession of 5,000 amphetamine pills.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised