Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Phone scam sting nabs 26

Phone scam sting nabs 26

Phone scam sting nabs 26

5 web scammers

Twenty-six Chinese and Taiwanese nationals allegedly part of an internet phone scam were arrested yesterday by military police at a villa in Kampong Cham’s Tbong Khmum district.

“They are part of a Chinese mafia hiding in Cambodia,” said Colonel Kheng Tito, national military police spokesman, who added that the arrests were made after a two-week long investigation following a tip-off from Chinese police.

According to Tito, the group were placing calls over the internet using voice over internet protocol (VoIP) technology – allowing them to conceal the origin of the calls – in order to extort money from people in China and Taiwan.

Amongst the group arrested, there were two Taiwanese men and six Chinese women. In addition to the arrests, military police also seized telephones, computers and other related gadgets used in the scam.

The group will be sent to the provincial court to be charged today, Tito added.

Meanwhile, two other Taiwanese suspects were questioned by prosecutors at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday in a similar but separate phone-extortion case.

The two men were part of a group of 17 charged with threatening and extortion, and arrested in November last year.

“They had used VoIP to threaten and extort money from people in China and Taiwan, said Judge Ly Thav Vireak.

The two men – Zhang Jia Giang, 29, and Yu Kuang Ming, 30 – however, told the court they were duped by a Taiwanese businessman who had placed ads in a Taiwanese newspaper offering lucrative jobs in Cambodia.

Zhang said the businessman – who has since fled the country and is known only as Mr Chung – had promised him a job with his company that would pay $170 a day.

“I was cheated by Mr Chung to come to work here . . . but when I arrived, I was brought by his people to stay at his rental house in Sen Sok District,” he said. “I stayed for a month but never met him or did any work.”

Both Zhang and Yu deny any part in the phone extortion scam.

The hearings will continue next Monday.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all