Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poisioning is result of ‘bad prep’

Poisioning is result of ‘bad prep’

Lab results have revealed that an outbreak of food poisoning that left hundreds hospitalised in Siem Reap province last week was caused by bacteria likely passed on through unhygienic food preparation, an official said yesterday.

Dim Theng, lab director at CamControl, one of the Ministry of Commerce’s departments leading research into food safety, said tests of food samples had revealed that “it was bacteria poisoning, not chemical poisoning” that caused hundreds to fall sick after eating sandwiches at an event organised by Christian NGO World Vision.

Official results, he said, would be released in the coming days.

Theng added that those who prepared the sandwiches should be investigated.

Moeun Srey Oeuy, a representative of the Ponlork Thmey youth group, which prepared the food, insisted yesterday that her team had taken measures to ensure hygiene standards.

“I washed my hands and washed the vegetables using filtered water from the storage tank.”

Channpheaktra Hong, a World Vision spokesman, said the NGO is working to ensure food provided at its events is safe to eat, and will release a food-security policy this week.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

ACLEDA’s boss on how tech is changing financial services

In today’s world of fast-changing technology, Cambodia is seeing increasing innovation in financial services.

ACLEDA President In Channy on the key to the bank’s success

Post Khmer Editor-in-Chief Kay Kimsong sat down with Dr In Channy, President and Group Managing Director of ACLEDA Bank Plc, to explore the main principle guiding Cambodia’s biggest bank.

A taste of Phnom Penh's first container night market

At the launch of Phnom Penh's newest market, The Post spoke to customers and stallholders about what the hub of bars, food stalls, shops and live music will add to the city's nightlife.