Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poisonous blowfish dinner kills man

Poisonous blowfish dinner kills man

A man died after eating poisonous blowfish as 15 of his sick family members were rushed to hospital yesterday in Kampong Chhnang province’s Cholkiri district.

Hong Sokhouen, Chief of Cholkiri district’s Plhong commune, said yesterday that 35-year-old Sek Seang died on a boat in transit to hospital.

“They ate it together and were happy because they were meeting family, but it poisoned them,” he said.

“We are sorry that a man could not be rescued and died because he was far away from the hospital. He could not endure it.

“He died on the boat and some of his family are being cured in the hospital.”

The family had caught nearly five kilograms of blowfish behind their house, he said.

Sou RinRa Vuthy, director of Kampong Chhnang referral hospital, said yesterday that some family members had been released while others remained in his care with severe poisoning.

“They were poisoned by blowfish. They felt bad, vomited and had difficulty breathing,” he said.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Bodies of Cambodian peacekeepers returned to Kingdom

The bodies of four Cambodian peacekeepers killed by a Christian militia in Central African Republic were repatriated to the Kingdom and honoured in an airport ceremony on May 21.

Phnom Penh eats: Ptas Nak Battambang

As the name suggests, Ptsa Nak Battambang – which in English means Battambang's house – is the right place for those who want to try some of the province's typical dishes in Phnom Penh.

People drive past an advertisement for beer.

Prime Minister Hun Sen issued a directive on Friday banning the sale and consumption of alcohol on June 3 and 4 to prevent unrest during commune el

Military police stand guard outside a polling station that was allegedly prematurely closed to eligible voters during the 2013 general election in Kandal province. Photo supplied

The Ministry of Defence on Friday lashed out at civil society and election monitoring groups, claiming a