A three-year-old girl girl died and another was hospitalised in Banteay Meanchey province after eating toads that they had apparently caught and cooked Saturday evening, said Phnom Srok district police chief Khem Phan.
The incident took place in Bos Sbov village in the Phnom Dei commune of Banteay Meanchey province’s Phnom Srok district.
According to Phan, on the day in question, villagers had set fires to keep themselves warm during the cool morning before going to work in their farms, leaving the two girls behind to play.
Villagers later discovered the girls lying on the ground, with a few charred toads near the villagers’ fires.
“We hypothesize that the girls ate the toads and were poisoned,” he said.
Dr Khom Sarem, director of Srah Chik Health Centre, verified that the toads were to blame for the deaths.
A funeral has already been held in the village for the girl who died, while the other will remain hospitalised until fully recovered.
To contact the reporter on this story: Khoun Leakhana at firstname.lastname@example.org