Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Poisonous snack slays young child

Poisonous snack slays young child

A three-year-old girl girl died and another was hospitalised in Banteay Meanchey province after eating toads that they had apparently caught and cooked Saturday evening, said Phnom Srok district police chief Khem Phan.

The incident took place in Bos Sbov village in the Phnom Dei commune of Banteay Meanchey province’s Phnom Srok district.

According to Phan, on the day in question, villagers had set fires to keep themselves warm during the cool morning before going to work in their farms, leaving the two girls behind to play.

Villagers later discovered the girls lying on the ground, with a few charred toads near the villagers’ fires.

“We hypothesize that the girls ate the toads and were poisoned,” he said.

Dr Khom Sarem, director of Srah Chik Health Centre, verified that the toads were to blame for the deaths.

A funeral has already been held in the village for the girl who died, while the other will remain hospitalised until fully recovered.

To contact the reporter on this story: Khoun Leakhana at leakhana.khoun@phnompenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Google Angkor

Google's 3D Angkor online

Drawing on over one million photos, Google has taken the Angkor Wat temple complex into the digital realm, allowing anyone with internet access to enjoy 360-degree panoramic views of 100 of the ancient temples.

97' grenade attack commemoration

Back in the streets

Thousands of CNRP supporters march through Phnom Penh

This month 20 years ago...

1994-04-08 07:00
Ghosananda visits refugees on VN border
1994-03-25 07:00
Teenaged deserter vows to fight again
1994-03-25 07:00
Expert explains changes needed
1994-03-25 07:00
July target is tough - SIA chief
1994-03-11 07:00
Contractors deny blaze blame
1994-03-25 07:00
Sides dig in for B'bang squat battle