MEANCHEY district police yesterday apprehended 10 men suspected of involvement in the brutal murder of three family members whose slashed and beaten bodies were found in their home in Phnom Penh’s Chamkarmon district on Tuesday.
The three victims – 16-year-old Ry Nalin and her parents, 52-year-old Ry Saron and 46-year-old Ne Sovannary – were found in their home in Village 7 with their hands tied behind their backs and their throats cut. The house had also been robbed.
Mean Heng Tith, deputy district police chief, said 10 male suspects aged between 16 and 35 were yesterday arrested and temporarily detained for questioning in connection with the incident.
He said all 10 suspects live in Meanchey district’s Chak Angre Leu commune, but declined to provide any further details because of the ongoing investigations.
He also emphasised that no one had been charged.
“We just called them in for questioning, but we have not yet accused them completely of committing that robbery and murder,” he said.
Police said on Wednesday that they had apprehended a 35-year-old male suspect at 11pm on Tuesday night.
The man was arrested after police allegedly saw him “and an accomplice” near the victims’ house around the time the killings were thought to have taken place on Tuesday morning.
Police said the suspect had denied any involvement in the murders, but had admitted to stealing from the family “many times”.
Men Heng Tith said yesterday that the man was still in police custody.
“We continue to hold him in our custody provisionally at our police station, because the suspect confessed that he had entered and stolen property from the victims’ house several times,” he said.
Deputy municipal police chief Pol Pithey said yesterday that he was unable to provide any information about the case while investigations were ongoing.