Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police deny baton beatdown

Police deny baton beatdown

Police deny baton beatdown

120329_03

The Phnom Penh municipal police chief yesterday denied claims his officers had beaten three female garment factory workers with batons and shields during a protest in which a 21-year-old’s nose was allegedly broken on Tuesday.

{jathumbnail}

Police chief Touch Naruth called the Post yesterday claiming no weapons had been used to prevent about 900 employees of Win Shing-tex Cambodia garment factory from marching to the Ministry of Labour after 10 days of striking.

“After workers were wounded in Bavet city [last month], we banned authorities from using batons and shields to prevent or crack down on people striking or demonstrating,” he said.

“There was a scuffle between police and workers . . . but it did not wound any worker, and a worker had blood flowing from her nose because it was too hot,” he said.

One of the victims, Ry Mom, yesterday stood by The Coalition of Cambodia Apparel Workers’ Democratic Unions (C.CAWDU) representative Man Vanna’s claims, made on Tuesday, that batons had been used.

Ry Mom said police had used batons to strike her on the chest after she tried to help a co-worker who police were beating.

Ry Mom was then punched in the face numerous times, which broke the bridge of her nose and caused her to faint, she said.

“Police forces hit her . . .  I got hurt, but I still stood firm, but then my friend told me I had blood. I was shocked and fainted,” she said.

Blood was still seeping from her nose yesterday and she was in pain, she said.

“I ask the authorities to stop using violence against workers, because we follow the law,” she said.

Touch Naruth said that leading up to next week’s ASEAN summit, the authorities were not allowing protesters to march into the city centre.

“If you want to march, wait until the ASEAN summit is complete,” he said.

“Talk together and defend the dignity of the country – and the safety. Authorities will keep preventing marches without using batons or shields.”

San Sopha, a labour dispute official from C.CAWDU, said the union had prepared photographic evidence, gathered witnesses and would file a complaint to the court.

“Photos and videos reveal the authorities used shields and black batons to attack the workers, and we have workers who saw the event,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tep Nimol at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially