Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Police raid ends suspected kidnapping

Police raid ends suspected kidnapping

A CHINESE national has been arrested in Phnom Penh on charges of kidnapping and terrorism after a police raid on his house ended violently on Sunday.

Hour Ming, 33, was suspected of kidnapping Seang Yuohour, a 34-year-old Chinese woman, who was believed to be held hostage for 13 hours in his house in Tuol Kork district before police broke into the property, Mork Hong, chief of the Tuol Kork District Police, told the Post Sunday.

After a standoff with police in which Hour Ming threatened to set off fake explosives, the kidnapper slashed the victim's right cheek and stabbed himself in the chest.

"We don't have all the information yet because the case is still under investigation," Mork Hong said, adding that both the suspect and the victim were currently being treated for wounds in Kosmak Hospital.

Mork Hong said that the Phnom Penh Municipal Police and Anti-Terrorist police of the Ministry of Interior now had control over the case, but Khieu Sopheak, spokesman of the Ministry of Interior, told the Post that he had not received any information about the case as of Sunday.

According to local officials, police had surrounded the house since 6pm Saturday night and arrested the kidnapper early Sunday morning, enabling them to rescue the victim.

Mork Hong said the kidnapper had told police he would set off a bomb with his mobile phone if police tried to break into the house, but it was revealed later that the explosives were really milk cans.

An official at the Chinese embassy in Phnom Penh told the Post Sunday that he had no information about the incident.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking