Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Prosecutors see import of cables

Prosecutors see import of cables

Prosecutors see import of cables

Prosecutors at the Khmer Rouge tribunal requested yesterday that 26 declassified US State Department cables be added to the case file, arguing that the decades-old missives detailing the lead-up to Phnom Penh’s fall shed unique light on the policy of evacuation at the heart of Case 002.

The cables, the prosecution argues in its filing, not only support evidence that co-accused Khieu Samphan attended high-level meetings of the Communist Party of Kampuchea’s (CPK) Central Committee, but also contradict prior Khmer Rouge claims that the evacuation of Phnom Penh was carried out in the interest of the safety and well-being of its citizens.

One cable quoted in the filing tells of six refugee children being “brutally executed by knife and bayonet”. Another describes the Khmer Rouge forces “ignoring [government troops’] defensive positions and ‘concentrat[ing] their attacks on villages, directing their fire at villagers rather than soldiers’”.

Quoting a memo on the fight for Kampong Cham town, the filing says that the Khmer Rouge “fired rockets and artillery shells point-blank into houses, so as to force out the residents hiding inside”.

The defence, particularly the defence team for Nuon Chea, has long argued that the evacuation of Phnom Penh was necessary to alleviate the dire situation and severe food shortages in the overcrowded capital.

However, the prosecution asserts, the new cables “assist in proving the purpose of CPK attacks on cities and towns, and refute the Defence position that the CPK had humanitarian goals or intentions in regards to the civilian and refugee population of Phnom Penh”.

Though originally declassified in 2005, the 1.7 million cables were only released in a searchable format earlier this month by the anti-secrecy organisation Wikileaks.

The prosecution says that fact makes the cables admissible, despite an internal rule requiring that “the requested testimony or evidence was not available before the opening of the trial”.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all