Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protest over S-21 ‘claim’ on Sunday

Protest over S-21 ‘claim’ on Sunday

S-21 survivor and Victims Association of Democratic Kampuchea president Chum Mey announced yesterday that a previously threatened protest against opposition leader Kem Sokha over his alleged assertion that S-21 was a Vietnamese invention will be held Sunday.

“I will continue to demand that this politician accept responsibility for the nonsense claim that Tuol Sleng was an artificial prison,” Mey said during a press conference held at the genocide museum.

The march, he said, would move from Freedom Park to the Cambodia National Rescue Party headquarters, where the group would deliver a petition calling on Sokha to apologise for his words. Mey said he expects 20,000 people to show up at his rally and denied claims made by the opposition that the ruling party was behind the protest.

Phnom Penh Municipality spokesman Long Dimanche said he had received no request for such a protest and that whether the city provides a permit or not will depend on the potential impact on public order.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Khmer Rouge survivors react to First They Killed My Father

Angelina Jolie's First They Killed My Father depicts some of the atrocities committed during the Pol Pot regime. How did watching it feel for those who were alive at the time?

Cambodia's last tile masters: Why a local craft is under threat

Brought over by the French, painted cement tile making has been incorporated into Cambodian design for more than a century, even as the industry has died out in Europe.

Interview: Loung Ung, author of First They Killed My Father

The story of Loung Ung and her family’s suffering under the Khmer Rouge became known around the world with the success of her autobiography.