Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protests over CRC flood aid

Protests over CRC flood aid

Protests over CRC flood aid

ROUGHLY 50 families in Banteay Meanchey province protested outside a ceremony organised by the Cambodian Red Cross to hand out donations to flood-affected families, questioning its decision to supply relief packages to just 20 families in each village across the province.

CRC president Bun Rany yesterday handed out “donor cards” to roughly 932 families during a ceremony in Serei Sophoan town. The cards allow those families to enter CRC tents and collect relief packages.

Residents from across the province staged their protest outside the ceremony. Villager Suon Moa, 51, from Kampong Svay district’s Kampong Svay village, said authorities in the district had created lists of prospective recipients beforehand.

“Families who got cards have relationships with the village chief and the authorities,” he said. “We do not have rice to eat, and no one has come to give donations to us since the floods hit last week.”

Fellow villager Meas Ny said she was perplexed by the selection process.

“I don’t know how the authorities chose the residents who received the donation,” she said.

But Serei Sophoan governor Um Reatrey said priority families were chosen first, with 20 families from each village across the seven districts selected.

“My commune chiefs worked hard to select the poorest families and people seriously affected by the floods,” he said.

He said that each donor card entitled the family to 30 kilograms of rice, a case of Chinese noodles, 30,000 riels (US$7.10) and other items.

Om Chantha, chief of the provincial cabinet, said yesterday that 596 families in Sisophon district had been forced to move to the sides of roads or to pagodas because of flooding, and that 350 families were forced to relocate in Mongkul Borei district.

“The water has receded very little if compared to yesterday’s situation,” he said. “Affected people will face many difficulties, especially with their health.”

Soum Chankea, provincial coordinator for the rights group Adhoc, said the provincial prison was still flooded, and that many of the 850 prisoners housed there were being forced to sleep on tables to avoid the water.

“I am very concerned about the prisoners’ health because they are now faced with many diseases,” he said, mentioning diarrhoea, colds and skin diseases as common ailments.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second