Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Protests at provincial hall in Koh Kong dispute

Protests at provincial hall in Koh Kong dispute

Protests at provincial hall in Koh Kong dispute

6 Koh Kong

Villagers fighting for their land against two firms in Koh Kong province demanded their cases be resolved before next month’s national election at a protest outside the provincial hall yesterday.

About 80 villagers representing 300 families affected either by Chinese firm Tianjin Union Development Group’s massive $3.8 billion tourism development in Botum Sakor and Kiri Sakor districts or Heng Huy Agriculture Company’s concession in Sre Ambel district braved the rain to demand a solution.

“We want the authorities to measure and give us land titles before the election or we will continue to protest at Prime Minister Hun Sen’s house in Phnom Penh,” 45-year-old Boy Dy from Sre Ambel’s Chi Khor Krom district said.

Dy said he had lost 7 hectares to Heng Huy, which had been clearing 58 hectares of his community’s land since 2009.

The affected families claim they were coerced into signing over their land to the firm through intimidation from both the company and provincial authorities in 2010 and were never given promised land titles afterward or any compensation.

Last month, they again demanded the contracts were annulled after threatening suicide early in the year.

Hundreds of families have fought Tianjin Union Development Group since the firm was granted a 36,000 hectare concession to develop its mega tourism project in 2008 and a subsequent 9,100 hectare concession to build a hydropower dam.

Rong Ki, 42, from Botum Sakor’s Thma Sar commune, said Tianjin Union Development Group had taken away 100 hectares of land from his community of 40 families.

“It is the rainy season, but we cannot cultivate on the land, Ki said. Provincial hall administration director Ouch Touch said 12 representatives had been invited to speak with Deputy Governor Phay Thuon Phlam Kesorn, but declined to say if a solution was reached.

Phay Thuon Phlam Kesorn could not be reached yesterday. Officials from Heng Huy and Tianjin Union Development Group did not return calls. Neang Boratino, provincial coordinator for rights group Adhoc, posed that neither company nor provincial officials had any intention of compromising.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all