Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Pursat man shot over $1 fee to collect dead wood

Pursat man shot over $1 fee to collect dead wood

A man charging people to collect dead wood on a plot of land belonging to the Ministry of Defence in Pursat’s Phnom Kravanh district was arrested yesterday after allegedly shooting a villager in the foot during a dispute over 4,000 riel (about $1).

According to Em Run, the arresting police chief of nearby Krakor district, suspect Min Khorn demanded 3,000 riel for each of the four makeshift trailers a local villager was using to transport the wood from Santre commune.

When the villager advised that he only had money to pay 2,000 riel for each vehicle, Khorn allegedly shot the man in the foot with an AK-47.

“First he fired into the air and then into the foot of the villager,” Run said. “The bullet passed through his left foot.”

The police chief said the man was hired and armed by a soldier to man a road running through the land, and was charging villagers who collected wood there to make charcoal.

However, Ministry of Defence spokesman Chum Socheat denied that a soldier had armed the man, as it was “illegal” for the armed forces to pass weapons on to civilians.

“Soldiers cannot give guns to people,” he said, adding that he was still waiting on information about this specific case.

A district police officer, who would only speak under condition of anonymity, said the suspect had been charging villagers for “years”.

Between the police, the military, purported journalists and forestry officials, extortion of villagers collecting in the area was rampant, he said.

“I am really sick and tired of them, but we cannot do anything,” he said.

The case has been sent to the provincial court.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc