Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Questions renew over attack at Wat Phnom

Questions renew over attack at Wat Phnom

Boeung Kak land-rights activist Nget Khun arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for questioning.
Boeung Kak land-rights activist Nget Khun arrives at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday for questioning. Pha Lina

Questions renew over attack at Wat Phnom

Prominent Boeung Kak activist Nget Khun was questioned in court yesterday over the violent attack on land activists at Wat Phnom three years ago, demanding compensation of 15 million riel (about $3,750) for being struck in the chest with a marble during the violence.

Twenty anti-eviction activists from the Boeung Kak and Borei Keila communities as well as journalists were attacked by a group of masked men armed with sticks, slingshots and electric batons in September 2013 as they were holding a night-time candle-light vigil.

Eleven of the activists filed a complaint shortly after naming four Daun Penh district officials as the ringleaders of the attack: Deputy District Governor Sok Penhvuth, director of order Kim Vutha, district council official Pich Socheata and deputy district police chief Soa Nol.

Khun, who goes by the nickname “Mummy”, said she informed municipal investigating judge Lim Makaron yesterday that she was struck in the chest by the marble while going to help one of the injured activists.

“After running a few metres, I fainted and someone took me to Calmette hospital,” she said, adding that she submitted videos and photos of the attack to the Interior Ministry in 2013, but that investigating judge Lim Makaron yesterday asked her to resubmit the evidence.

She also said that Makaron had instructed her to not name people when she brought up council official Socheata in court, saying she risked legal action herself.

Khun’s fellow activist Phann Chhunreth on Monday told the court she had identified Socheata as having been at the scene that night.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s