Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Raid of Korean agency produces zero charges

Raid of Korean agency produces zero charges

Raid of Korean agency produces zero charges

Nine women aged 50 and older were released yesterday after being questioned at length over what police had feared was their possible involvement in human trafficking.

Not a single charge has been laid in relation to the anti-human trafficking police’s raid on the Association for People Protection in the capital’s Tuol Kork district on Monday, but police said yesterday that the agency had signed a contract promising to stop inviting young women to its office.

Keo Thea, director of the Phnom Penh municipal anti-human trafficking police, said the nine women, whom police had suspected to be brokers, had been released after signing a similar contract.

“They have promised not to do anything illegal and to stop luring girls from other provinces to apply to marry Korean men,” he said, adding that the nine women were related to some of the aspiring brides. “It is the women’s right to choose who they marry, but they must do it legally.”

Police raided APP’s office in Boeung Kak II commune on Monday as 49 women aged 18 to 25 gathered to have their “faces checked” by two South Korean prospective husbands.

Thea said there was nothing to indicate the agency, the nine women or the two men had done anything wrong, but said they may be investigated and questioned further.

“The future of the association depends on what’s going on, because we are still investigating,” he said.

Police also “educated” the 49 women about the risks of marrying someone they did not know or love, Thea said.

The government temporarily banned marriages between Cambodian women and Korean men in 2010 in an attempt to prevent human trafficking.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Koy Kuong told the Post on Monday that the ban was no longer in place, provided the groom is under 50 and a request is made to the couple’s embassies, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Interior.

APP and Heang Sopheak, deputy prosecutor of the Phnom Penh municipal court, who was involved in the raid, could not be reached for comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: Sen David at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • PM derides talk of government affairs, hinting phone records could reveal all

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday night told Cambodia’s starlets to either name their high-profile government lovers or keep quiet, telling a room full of journalists he did not want to be tarred with the same brush. Addressing more than 3,400 people at the second