Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Rape incident: Police seek warrant for RCAF officer

Rape incident: Police seek warrant for RCAF officer

Rape incident
ODDAR Meanchey provincial police have requested that Siem Reap court officials issue a warrant for the arrest of a soldier accused of raping his 8-year-old sister-in-law, after receiving a forensic examination report of the victim.

The suspect, a 25-year-old low-ranking officer in Royal Cambodian Armed Forces’ Brigade 8, is accused of raping his sister-in-law on September 14 in Trapaing Prasat district’s Preah Pralay commune.

Roth Savon, provincial police chief in charge of serious crimes, said yesterday that an arrest warrant was needed for the suspect because he had refused to come to the police station for questioning.

“He hasn’t come out of his military base, so we have to request a warrant so we can take action against him,” he said, and added that he could not reveal the results of the examination as the investigation was ongoing.

Siem Reap provincial court prosecutor Ty Soveinthal said yesterday that he hadn’t yet received the report. “I’ve ordered the arrest of the suspect since the beginning, but someone is intervening,” he said.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc