Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Refuse Site: Scavengers want access to dump

Refuse Site: Scavengers want access to dump

Refuse Site
Around 100 former scavengers from the Stung Meanchey dump site say they plan to protest in front of City Hall this weekend if they are not permitted to pick through rubbish at the city’s new dump near the Choeung Ek killing fields. Many of the scavengers had been supporting themselves at the Stung Meanchey dump for years before it was closed last July. Chea Seab, the group’s representative, said the scavengers had no way of earning a living because they had been denied access to the new site. “We collect scrap to sell so we can eat, because we are poor, but the waste field committee banned us,” she said. “We will protest in front of City Hall this weekend if they still continue to ban us.” Bun Sovann, who has previously bought scrap from the collectors, said officials working for the committee managing the new site had ordered him to pay US$100 to continue his operations. “I offered to pay them $70, but they disagreed,” he said. Committee chairman Leng Simen declined to comment and referred questions to Phnom Penh Governor Kep Chuktema, who could not be reached Tuesday.



Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Turkish Embassy calls for closure of Zaman schools

With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern

CNRP lawmakers beaten

Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".