Two sons of tycoon Duong Ngiep accused of beating a man during an altercation at a restaurant will front Phnom Penh Municipal Court today.
The court will hear assault, property destruction and illegal possession of weapons charges against Duong Chhay, 20, Duong Kimlong, 17, and the pair’s bodyguard, 20-year-old Ly Rayuth, even though the victim withdrew his complaint, a court official who asked not be named said.
Kimlong was released on bail on Friday “because he was a minor; he was busy with his schooling and it was necessary that he go back to school to continue his study,” his lawyer Nack Try said.
Chhay and Rayuth would likely be released too, given the complaint had been dropped, he added.
Sok Sam Oeun, executive director of the Cambodian Defenders Project, said, victim complaint or not, the charges should still stand.
“According to the laws, although the victim has withdrawn his complaint against them, it does not mean that they are free from their accusations,” he said. “They are still facing the prosecutor’s complaints.”