Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Road Safety: Accidents down during New Year

Road Safety: Accidents down during New Year

Road Safety: Accidents down during New Year

Traffic police across Cambodia have reported a drop in the number of traffic accidents during the Khmer New Year compared with the three-day holiday period last year. "Now Cambodian people have learned more about road accidents," Hem Ya, the deputy of the traffic police in Phnom Penh, said on Sunday. From Tuesday to Thursday last week, there were 10 major traffic accidents in Phnom Penh, which killed four people and seriously injured 11. During the same period in 2008, there were 15 major accidents, killing eight people and seriously injuring 13. Police in Prey Veng and Battambang reported similar drops. Sath Kim San, Battambang province's traffic police chief, said, "We notice that road accidents always happen during national celebrations.... Most are caused by drunkenness, speeding and traffic violations."

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all

  • Ex-RFA journos accuse outlet

    Two former Radio Free Asia journalists held a press conference yesterday claiming they are each owed $28,000 by the US-funded radio broadcaster, which shuttered its in-country operations in September amid a government crackdown on independent media. The journalists, Sok Ratha and Ouk Savborey, maintained they organised