The Phnom Penh municipality launched the capital’s second bus line yesterday, running for 68 stops from the night market to Takhmao town in Kandal province.
The second line’s fleet is made up of 18 secondhand buses from South Korea, although city spokesman Long Dimanche said only nine will be used on weekends.
Dimanche has called upon Phnom Penh citizens to start using public transport in a bid to “reduce traffic congestion and accidents”.
City Hall attempted to create a public transport network since back in 2001, when a bus route failed after two months due to a lack of interest.
However, fortunes appear to have changed.
A bus trial that started this February was expanded last week, and a third line, set to run from the night market to Choam Chao commune, is scheduled to open on September 15.
Prime Minister Hun Sen said in August that the city could have 18 bus lines by 2020.