Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sesan families accept graves compensation

Sesan families accept graves compensation

Authorities grant $200 compensation to a villager in Stung Treng's Srekor commune on Wednesday
Authorities grant $200 compensation to a villager in Stung Treng's Srekor commune on Wednesday. Photo supplied

Sesan families accept graves compensation

A group of 161 ethnic Lao families in Stung Treng’s Sesan district have accepted $200 per family in compensation for ancestral graves that have been flooded by the Lower Sesan II hydroelectric dam, a local official said yesterday.

The villagers, who have been displaced by the flooding caused by the dam, met Mines and Energy Ministry officials and representatives of the dam company to discuss the graves on Wednesday, said Srekor Commune Chief Siek Mekong.

“The villagers agreed to take the compensation. They were given $200 per family, and they raised their hands to accept it,” Mekong said.

He added that 91 other families who had not left their old villages behind had been excluded from the deal because they had refused to leave the flooded area.

Another group of 82 ethnic Phnong families left the nearby Kbal Romea village to an assigned relocation site and accepted compensation for their ancestors’ graves months ago. At that time, 58 Phnong families also refused to leave or accept money, angered by the thought of leaving the graves.

Former Kbal Romea resident Nhao Kuy, 36, said yesterday that the Phnong families in his village had accepted $150 per grave as part of that deal. His family, he said, had received $750 in total for the graves of his parents, grandparents and brother, having pushed for $300 per grave.

Kuy said that Phnong, by tradition, would not exhume their ancestors’ graves, and that the decision to abandon the graves was a hefty one to make.“I prayed to tell them that I moved out, I will not be able to look after the grave any-more,” Kuy explained.

“We prayed to end the relationship.”Not praying would lead to illnesses, he said.However, Dam Samnang, a Kbal Romea community representative who still refuses to relocate from his increasingly flooded community, decried the offers of money for the graves of the community’s ancestors last week, explaining that the graves were priceless and could not compensated.

“It is not acceptable to pay $100 or $200 for our ancestors’ graves,” Samnang said at a press conference in Phnom Penh, saying there was a double standard at play.

“If I have money and I offer to buy the graves of the prime minister’s parents, would he sell them? I believe he would not sell.”

A previous version of this article described Siek Mekong as the former Srekor Commune Chief. He is actually a former Srekor Commune Chief for the Sam Rainsy Party but the current Commune Chief for the Cambodia National Rescue Party. The Post apologises for the error.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially