Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sexual Abuse: Rape suspect released from detention

Sexual Abuse: Rape suspect released from detention

Sexual Abuse: Rape suspect released from detention

A man awaiting trial for the alleged rape of a 16-year-old girl was released from pre-trial detention by Cambodia’s Supreme Court on Wednesday, prompting outrage from rights activists. Judge Khim Pon ruled in favour of the 37-year-old Korean national’s appeal after the defence and prosecution agreed that, because the defendant was a foreigner and had effectively been guaranteed by the Korean embassy, he should be released. Co-defence lawyer Than Phanith said the court’s decision relied on the embassy’s guarantee “not to renew [the defendant’s] passport because he cannot be trusted or relied on, as these were felony crimes.” The suspect was arrested on charges of sexual assault and unlawful removal with purpose after he allegedly raped a girl who had been drugged, abducted and sold to him by a Cambodian couple. Nuon Phanith, a lawyer provided for the victim by NGO Action Pour Les Enfants, condemned the court’s decision. “I am very unhappy … for fear the man will commit more crimes, intimidate the victim or witnesses, or fail to appear in court,” he said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s