Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Sixth man arrested in bomb plot

Sixth man arrested in bomb plot

Sixth man arrested in bomb plot

Authorities say they're still on 'hunt' for more Tiger Heads

THE brother of the alleged mastermind behind the foiled bomb plot against state-owned facilities in Phnom Penh in January was arrested last Tuesday as a conspirator, authorities said.

Chea Kimyan, the brother of Som Ek, who has been incarcerated since January 12 along with four other suspects reputed to be in the so-called "Tiger Head" paramilitary group, was arrested by police on the same charges in connection with the bombs and on suspicion of recruiting and training terrorists, said Hing Bunchea, a prosecutor with the Phnom Penh Municipal Court.

"He is now being detained temporarily for further investigation," he said.

Police say Som Ek has confessed to organising both the most recent bombing attempt as well as a plot to blow up the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument in July 2007.

Military Police Chief Sao Sokha said Chea Kimyan had been in the hands of court investigators since Friday but would not comment on whether he had denied the charges.

A military policeman who asked not to be named said Chea Kimyan was arrested in Choam Chao commune in Phnom Penh's Dangkor district.

Chan Saveth, a legal counselor with local rights group Adhoc, said he was waiting for Chea Kimyan's family to contact him for consultation.

"We welcome the police's effort to arrest more suspects in the bomb plot in order to fight crime, but we are still doubtful about the charges until there is convincing evidence," he said. He said he had asked the court to move forward with hearings for all the suspects as soon as possible to clarify whether the cases against them were valid.

Rights groups had previously called for the release of more details surrounding the arrest, interrogation and trial of the suspects already detained. Chan Saveth said two of the men - Reach Samnang and Lek Bunnhean - have still been denied contact with lawyers or their families.

National Police spokesman Keat Chantharith declined to give details on the number of additional suspects identified by authorities, but said, "We are still investigating more people and will hunt for them to the end".

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all