Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - SL protester, 15, released after months

SL protester, 15, released after months

A juvenile suspect held on charges of violence and criminal damage for his part in the SL Garment workers strike last November has been released on bail.

The 15-year-old suspect was released under court supervision yesterday, after an appeal was launched against his pre-trial detention.

A lawyer for the prosecution, who wished to remain anonymous, said the youth suffered from mental illness.

“He has a mental problem, and he is a juvenile,” she said. “We wait to discuss with the attorney whether we should keep filing against him or not.”

Vanny Vannak, 19, who was charged along with Ton, remains in detention.

Thirty-eight people, only one of whom was an SL Garment worker, were arrested after violence broke out at a strike in Phnom Penh’s Stung Meanchey district on November 12.

A woman, Eng Sokhom, was killed and at least six others shot when police fired live ammunition into a crowd of hundreds of rioting garment workers.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

The final results from the National Election Committee for the June 4 commune elections show the Cambodian People’s Party taking 1,156 communes to

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s