Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Svay Rieng shooting victims get their say

Svay Rieng shooting victims get their say

Svay Rieng shooting victims get their say

The three young women wounded in last month’s factory shooting in Svay Rieng province will meet with provincial prosecutor Hing Bunchea today to give their account of the February 20 incident that has yet to produce an arrest warrant.

Bun Chinda, 21, Nuth Sokhorn, 23, and Keo Nea, 18, were due in court yesterday, but their meeting was delayed after being told the provincial prosecutor was busy.

“I was busy at a drug congress so … they agreed to come on Thursday,” Hing Bunchea said yesterday. “It is about their complaint against Chhouk Bandith.”

Chhouk Bandith, the former Bavet town governor and sole suspect in the case, was himself questioned about the shooting on Thursday, March 12.

Following that meeting, Hing Bunchea told the Post that Chhouk Bandith had “confessed”, though his recounting of events varied in different publications Asked yesterday how or when he planned to take action against Chhouk Bandith, he declined comment.

However, workers and families contacted by the Post said  they still fear for their safety knowing Chhouk Bandith is free.

“My wife and I are worried about our safety, because I am afraid that the suspect will take revenge for filing a complaint against him,” said Sin Sam Oun, the 26-year-old husband of Nuth Sokhorn.

Shooting victim Bun Chinda, who was shot through the chest by a bullet that narrowly missed her heart, said: “I am poor and he is powerful, so now there is the court to find justice for me. I want him arrested.”

On March 7, Bun Chinda was visited by municipal officials who offered her a choice of US$1,000 or a motorbike in return for her silence, her brother and a deputy village chief in Bavet told the Post at the time.

Moeun Tola, head of the labour program at the Community Legal Education Centre, said that the lack of an arrest in such a high-profile case could prove detrimental to the nation’s garment industry.

“It is a big issue and concern if the gunman is not arrested. If it is not solved, [international brands] will step back [from investing here],” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Thy Sovantha threatens new suit

    Social media celebrity and card-carrying CPP member Thy Sovantha yesterday said she will file a lawsuit against wildlife NGO head Suwanna Gauntlett alleging discrimination after the latter allegedly denied her access to an ecotourism program the group is launching today in Koh Kong province. The

  • Police raid Siem Reap party, arrest 10 foreigners over ‘pornographic’ images

    A group of 10 foreign tourists appeared in court today after being arrested for producing “pornographic” photos in Siem Reap town on Thursday, while dozens more were detained temporarily and let go after being lectured on their behaviour, according to authorities. A report posted to the

  • Hun Sen’s in-law removed from RCAF after cockfighting rings raided

    Thai Phany, the nephew-in-law of Prime Minister Hun Sen who is accused of running two large cockfighting rings, has been removed as a general in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces. Phany, formerly a one-star brigadier general, was removed by royal decree on December 19, according to

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially