A former ambassador to Brunei sentenced last month to four years in prison for stealing money intended for an embassy office now faces a civil suit, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said yesterday.
Ky Tech, a lawyer for the ministry, said the civil suit against former ambassador and Funcinpec parliamentarian Nan Sy would begin on December 23.
“The civil case against Nan Sy will take place soon and I am now ready to work on it,” he told the Post yesterday. “For this civil case, I will ask the court to force him to return the [stolen] US$432, 876.65 to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and request 200 million riel [about $50,000] in compensation,” he said.
The Phnom Penh Municipal Court convicted Nan Sy, 48, in absentia on November 25 for embezzling the funds. He was also fined about $2000.
An arrest warrant was issued for him, but he is believed to be in the Middle East. Nan Sy had been expelled from his position as ambassador to Brunei in May.
In 2008, the ministry transferred funds to build a Cambodian embassy office in Brunei. Nan Sy was charged on June 17 with embezzling these funds, following a complaint from Deputy Prime Minister Hor Namhong.