Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Thousands continue their strike

Thousands continue their strike

Nearly 4,000 workers in Svay Rieng province continued protesting yesterday amid a separate stay-at-home strike.

Workers from three factories in the country’s southeast corner held public protests outside their factories in the province’s Tai Seng Special Economic Zone beginning Saturday, said Pav Sina, president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers (CUMW).

The striking workers are demanding $50 – the amount of the no-strike bonus all three factories agreed to pay but have withheld in the wake of a nationwide strike that ended in early January, CUMW officer Sok Na said yesterday. They are also calling on factories to rehire 43 workers they say have been fired since the strike earlier this year.

“The factories broke their promise, which caused the workers to get angry and protest,” Na said, adding that workers would continue demonstrating tomorrow.

Employees taking part in the action, which is not related to the stay-at-home strike, represent workers from the Best Way, Smart Tech and You Li factories, Na said.



Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Turkish Embassy calls for closure of Zaman schools

With an attempted coup against the government of President Recep Erdogan quashed only days ago and more than 7,000 alleged conspirators now under arrest, the Turkish ambassador to Cambodia yesterday pressed the govern

CNRP lawmakers beaten

Two opposition lawmakers, Nhay Chamroeun and Kong Sakphea were beaten unconscious during protests in Phnom Penh, as over a thousand protesters descended upon the National Assembly.

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Student authors discuss "The Cambodian Economy"

Students at Phnom Penh's Liger Learning Center have written and published a new book, "The Cambodian Economy".