Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Traffic Law nets 60,000 vehicles in Kingdom

Traffic Law nets 60,000 vehicles in Kingdom

Traffic Law nets 60,000 vehicles in Kingdom

SINCE August 1, when authorities began stepping up enforcement of the Land Traffic Law, more than 60,000 vehicles have been temporarily impounded, police officials said Sunday.

Hem Ya, deputy chief of the Phnom Penh Police Commissariat, said that vehicles have been held in order to educate owners who break the law.

"I think that so far, 80 percent of Cambodian people respect the traffic law. The other 20 percent, mostly teenagers under the age of 25, don't seem to respect the law and don't want to wear helmets," he said. Of the 60,000 vehicles seized, cars accounted for 300, he added.

Rather than fining drivers stopped for violations, Hem Ya said, police send their vehicles to police outposts, where drivers are forced to buy helmets or replace missing mirrors.

Sem Panhavuth, manager of the Cambodia Road Traffic Accident and Victim Information System of Handicap International Belgium, said Sunday that he was pleased with enforcement of the Traffic Law thus far, though he, too, was concerned about younger drivers, who he said were the "most vulnerable" to accidents.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all