Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Twenty put end to latest Caltex strike

Twenty put end to latest Caltex strike

Petrol station workers who were back on strike on Friday returned to work yesterday as they prepare to file a complaint to the Ministry of Labour against US-owned Caltex over alleged rights abuse.

Yoeun Reth, one of 20 Caltex workers striking on Friday, said yesterday that the workers had reluctantly agreed to go back to the pumps.

“We had to force ourselves back to work, because we are so angry … that the company seemed to prohibit our right to protest or strike in the future,” he said.

Last week, Caltex management offered to raise wages by $20 a month and not withhold pay owed for time off during the strike, which began earlier this month.

“The strike will occur again one day if the company continues to abuse the workers,” Reth said, adding that the employees had to thumbprint a document agreeing to go back to work or risk losing their jobs.

Caltex spokesman Than Chanlek could not be reached yesterday.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc