Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two deminers remain hospitalised

Two deminers remain hospitalised

Two Americans injured one week ago in a demining accident remained hospitalised yesterday, one in the intensive care ward.

The other two victims of last week’s accident were discharged earlier this week, said staff at Bumrungrad International Hospital in Bangkok.

On January 15, the four expert deminers were seriously wounded when a 23-millimeter anti-aircraft bullet exploded as the group attempted to disarm it for later use as a teaching aide.

Three of the men were US Marines who had come to Cambodia to run a multiweek training course for Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) deminers.

The fourth was a senior employee of demining NGO Golden West Humanitarian foundation, which shares CMAC’s Kampong Chhnang facility.

All highly experienced, the men sustained a slew of injuries ranging from burns to shrapnel wounds to internal bleeding.

One man lost an eye, while another required an operation on his neck.

The most severely injured of the four has had multiple abdominal and vascular surgeries and remained in the intensive care ward as of yesterday afternoon, a hospital employee said.

The US Embassy in Bangkok declined to comment on the men’s conditions, citing privacy concerns.

CMAC, the Marines and Golden West Humanitarian Foundation are all running ongoing investigations into the episode.

Officials at all three organisations said yesterday they were unable to provide updates on the inquiries or predict when they would conclude.

“We’re trying not to be rushed,” said CMAC director general Heng Ratana.

“We have a number of activities [ongoing]. We’re conducting an internal investigation by CMAC, but we’re also sharing information jointly with Golden West... and working very closely with relevant partners.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Abby Seiff at abby.seiff@phnompenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Google Angkor

Google's 3D Angkor online

Drawing on over one million photos, Google has taken the Angkor Wat temple complex into the digital realm, allowing anyone with internet access to enjoy 360-degree panoramic views of 100 of the ancient temples.

97' grenade attack commemoration

Back in the streets

Thousands of CNRP supporters march through Phnom Penh

This month 20 years ago...

1994-04-08 07:00
Police Blotter: 08 April, 1994
1994-03-25 07:00
Magic moments in Mondulkiri
1994-04-08 07:00
Properly addressed
1994-03-25 07:00
Aids warning issued
1994-03-25 07:00
Funcinpec's evaporating mandate
1994-04-08 07:00
Mixed reaction to jailing of editor