Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two hydro plants open in M'kiri

Two hydro plants open in M'kiri

Two hydro plants open in M'kiri

TWO micro hydropower plants began supplying electricity to underserved rural areas in Mondulkiri province late last month, an official at the Ministry of Industry, Mines and Energy told the Post last week.

The two plants, funded by a US$10 million grant from Japan, operate around the clock and can produce 180 kilowatts of electricity per hour, said Victor Jona, deputy director general of the ministry's General Directorate of Energy.

"In the future, we will build more of these hydropower plants in the country to expand the electricity available to rural people," he said.

Jona said they had identified hundreds of places in the Kingdom where hydropower plants that could produce at least 100 kilowatts of electricity per hour could be built, and 30 places in which plants that could produce between 20 megawatts and 2,000 megawatts of electricity per hour could be built.

Jona said officials hope to supply electricity to 70 percent of the rural population by 2030 and cited plans to build between 20 and 30 plants.

"Currently, only 20 percent of rural people have access to electricity, whereas the other 80 percent are accessing battery power," he said.

Kong Pisith, director of Mondulkiri's Department of Industry, Mines and Energy, said the opening of the two plants last month would enable 1,600 households to access electricity costing 1,600 riel ($0.40) per kilowatt.

He said the demand for electricity would be significant in the long term and called for investors to finance the construction of more hydropower plants. 

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all