Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two killed in separate UXO blasts

Two killed in separate UXO blasts

A 12-year-old boy and a 37-year-old farmer lost their lives over the weekend in UXO explosions in Battambang and Pailin provinces.

A 1970s anti-tank mine exploded on Friday morning, when two men drove a mini-tractor over the explosive, which lay just 20cm to 30cm beneath a new road in Battambang’s Rattanak Mondul district.

The blast, which saw the vehicle flung 10 metres into the air, killed one man, identified by the police as Chert Chum, 37. The other, Suon Piset, 22, was sent to the provincial referral hospital.

On Saturday, Prom Pov, 12, from Pailin’s Salakrov district, was killed when a rusty 60mm artillery shell he was playing with exploded. Seventeen-year-old Rat Da, who was standing some 20 metres away, was seriously injured in the blast, Stung Trang commune police chief Ry Dara said.

“That place is an old military base, and we do not know how many unexploded ordnances still lay there,” he said.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc