Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Two people killed as mine collapses

Two people killed as mine collapses

Police officials said yesterday two people had died when a Mondulkiri gold mine collapsed on Saturday, but that neither of them worked for the mining company that owns it.

Provincial police chief Nhem Vanny said two men aged 25 and 30, had died in a Pech Chreada district mine owned by Australia’s Southern Gold.

He said the men were not employees of the company but had wandered on to the company’s land in search of gold.

The company had not begun construction yet and had only begun surveying the land, Vanny said.

“They were not workers of the company. They were just villagers who came illegally to the company area to search for gold,” he said, adding that Southern Gold had been conducting studies in the area for at least two years.

“The place where the people died belongs to the company, but because it is far away in a mountainous area where it is difficult to travel, people risk going there, working illegally on the firm’s land.”

To contact the reporter on this story: Chhay Channyda at channyda.chhay@phnompenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Google Angkor

Google's 3D Angkor online

Drawing on over one million photos, Google has taken the Angkor Wat temple complex into the digital realm, allowing anyone with internet access to enjoy 360-degree panoramic views of 100 of the ancient temples.

97' grenade attack commemoration

Back in the streets

Thousands of CNRP supporters march through Phnom Penh