Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - US asked to intercede for bomb plot duo

US asked to intercede for bomb plot duo

Two more Cambodians sought justice from US authorities ahead of Hillary Clinton’s visit yesterday as the families of two men implicated in a 2009 bomb plot submitted letters to the US embassy in Phnom Penh asking for intervention after their appeals had languished for nearly two years.

In the letter, Soam Sochea, wife of Chea Kimyan, and Phlong Livann, wife of Chea Vannara, asked US ambassador William Todd to help secure the release of their husbands, who they say were wrongfully convicted for their involvement in a failed bombing of the Cambodian-Vietnamese Friendship Monument.

Livanna said that she had come to the US embassy because she was out of options after her husband’s 2010 appeal went unexamined, and complaints filed with NGOs elicited no response.

“The court decided to sentence my husband to 20 years in jail without any evidence,” she said. “Only the embassy can intervene to free my husband.”

Kimyan, Vannara and two other alleged members of the anti-government Khmer National Unity Front — or Tiger Head Movement — were convicted in 2010 of planning to bomb the Ministry of National Defence and the television station TV3.

Chan Soveth, a senior investigator for the rights group Adhoc, called the court’s initial decision “unfair” and said the appellate court should look into the matter.

“The court should investigate the case more seriously,” he said.

US embassy officials could not be reached for comment.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at titthara.may@phnompenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Explore the durian and rubber farms of Kampong Cham

Take a drive north of Kampong Cham, past the dirt roads and the dense greenery.

Kem Sokha talks politics, power and Hun Sen

Kem Sokha, leader of the Cambodia National Rescue Party, sat down with The Post’s Alex Willemyns and Mech Dara to discuss his supporters’ initial disappointment with this year’s

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s

People search for their names on the voter lists at a polling station in Kampong Cham’s Veal Vong commune earlier this month.

Four years ago, when the opposition snatched Kampong Cham away from the ruling party in 2013 national elections, it hinted at a deeper shift taking