Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - UXO deaths halved in past year

UXO deaths halved in past year

The number of people killed by unexploded ordnance in 2013 halved from the previous year, figures from the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) show.

UXO claimed the lives of 22 people last year, down from 43, according to the figures released yesterday. Injuries also dipped sharply, from 142 in 2012 to 89 in 2013.

While deaths fell significantly in the past year, the overall number of accidents involving UXO remained close to par, dropping from 76 to 71.

Heng Ratana, director general of the Cambodia Mine Action Centre, said the decrease in deaths was good news for the country and his organisation, which during 2013 had responded to 13,000 calls for help dealing with UXO.

“It has dropped because of increased awareness and because our teams, with the help of donors, are trying to clear the UXOs,” he said. “We are on the right track.”

Since 1979, almost 20,000 people have been killed by UXO in Cambodia.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Behind the scenes of the princess's ballet

Post Weekend in collaboration with Le Petit Journal - Cambodge got an exclusive look behind the scenes of the Royal Ballet of Cambodia, as they travelled to Hong Kong for their debut in the ci

Kem Sokha detained for alleged treason

People gathered at the CNRP headquarters on Sunday morning, awaiting news on opposition leader, Kem Sokha.