PREAH Sihanouk provincial court began hearing the case of a naval officer accused of attacking two teachers late last week, and a second hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, court officials said.
Prosecutor Bou Bunhang said Sunday that Keo Monysoka, deputy commander at Ream Naval Base, was arrested on Thursday, and that the court had heard the prosecution’s case against him on Friday. He has been charged with causing intentional injury for allegedly attacking two teachers
at the International Home of English School after a 10-year-old male student there frightened his 14-year-old daughter with a turtle.
“We heard the case against [Keo Monysoka] over unintentional injury on Friday, but we haven’t convicted him yet because the defence lawyer requested a delay before the next hearing so there would be time for finding evidence and witnesses,” Bou Banhang said.
Witnesses say Keo Monysoka’s adult son attacked the 10-year-old male student, though Bou Bunhang said the son had not been apprehended or charged, adding that the court was investigating the allegations against him.
Judge Hang Sitha said Keo Monysoka was being held in the provincial prison, and that a verdict would likely be handed down on Tuesday.