Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers face eviction again in Phnom Penh

Villagers face eviction again in Phnom Penh

Villagers face eviction again in Phnom Penh

andong_pha_lina
Children mill about on a dirt path near shacks at the Andong relocation site on the outskirts of Phnom Penh last year. Photograph: Pha Lina/Phnom Penh Post

Villagers evicted from the former Sambok Chab community in the capital’s Dangkor district in 2006 face eviction for the second time – this time without any compensation, evictees told the Post yesterday.

According to villager Heng Pheng Chun, 26, authorities in Por Sen Chey district have issued letters to 19 families in Kork Roka commune’s Andong village, informing them their houses must be torn down by October 3 to make way for a new road.

“In the letter, it said that if we have not torn down our homes by then, they will take action against us and will not be held responsible for any property loss,” he said, adding that he had relocated to Andong village as instructed by authorities.

“They have forced us out of one town already, so where am I supposed to go? There is no justice for poor people like me.”

The Phnom Penh municipal authority deployed police forces equipped with electric shock batons and shields to force 1,554 families from their homes in Sambok Chab in 2006.

Families were relocated to Andong village, about 25 kilometres from the city centre.

Resident Horm Hoy, 36, said villagers had been informed that their relocation site was meant to be temporary, but the officials had never offered replacement land as promised.

“So I will not tear down my home, because I don’t know where I will go,” he said. “Only if they compensate me will I agree.”

Sok Chham, village chief of Andong III, said his duty was only to bring the letter to villagers rather than to provide them a solution.

“I don’t know why these villagers will not receive compensation,” he said.

District Governor Kit Sopha, who signed the eviction letters, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sia Phearum, secretariat director of the Housing Rights Task Force, said he felt for the families.

“If that happens, the victims will again be worse off,” he said. “How can they reduce poverty if they face the same thing again? How can their children get education and health care? It has a huge impact if they face eviction again and again.”

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]
With assistance from Shane Worrell

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all