Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Villagers may get land titles

Villagers may get land titles

Villagers may get land titles

Representatives of 171 Pursat families who claim to have been unfairly left out of the government’s land-titling process said they have reached a tentative agreement with the minister of Industry, Mines and Energy to continue farming on the Bakan district land they have occupied for years.

Pin Syli, a villager from Andoung III, said he and about 150 people met with minister Suy Sem yesterday while he was distributing titles to other Pursat residents and lodged their complaint.

“The minister said that he will allow us to use those lands . . . and he will hold a meeting to find [a permanent] solution later,” he said.

“It is extremely unreasonable that authorities say it is state land. In order to follow the local authorities’ solution, we have to rent land from the state, even though we have been growing crops there for 10 years,” added Syli.

The families say they were passed over for titling in November after student land measurers said the areas had been slated as a social land concession for retired and handicapped soldiers.

Villagers, however, disputed the decision, saying they had lived on the land since 2002 – nearly a decade before the concession was granted – and had papers signed by local
authorities proving their occupation claims.

Sem could not be reached for comment, but Phnom Kravanh district governor Touch Sambor confirmed the meeting had taken place with Sem appearing to have ruled in the villagers’ favour.

“In general, before we distribute the land titles, we always post a declaration on a board in order to accept complaints people have. They won’t lose their lands, because they have land receipts, so they will get land titles,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: May Titthara at [email protected]

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Government approves plan to relocate Phnom Penh’s airport

    The government has signed off on a proposal to build a new airport to serve Phnom Penh and has earmarked land in Kandal province for the $1.5 billion project. A new international airport to replace the existing Phnom Penh International Airport will be constructed on partially

  • American convicted of raping boy, 10, in Siem Reap

    A 79-year-old American man was sentenced to one year in prison for raping a 10-year-old boy by Siem Reap Provincial Court on Wednesday. John Paul Zollbrecht, of Washington state, was sentenced to one year in prison while a Cambodian man who helped facilitate the abuse, 23

  • Cambodia: From pet project to problem child

    As international condemnation began to pour in earlier this month lambasting the Supreme Court’s decision to dissolve the country’s largest opposition party, ruling party elites were quick to ask: Why us? In an op-ed published by the Khmer Times, ruling Cambodian People’s