Nearly 140 partygoers were struck down by a likely case of food poisoning in Kampong Speu’s Kong Pisey district early this week.
District authorities told the Post yesterday that a total of 138 Tbong Boeung villagers were suffering from vomiting, abdominal pains and diarrhea after they attended a wedding ceremony on Monday.
Top Sameth, the first assistant of Kong Pisey’s Veal commune, said that although the victims were unwell, the complaints were not serious.
“The villagers recovered from the illness and returned home after they received treatment at the local health center and Kong Pisey referral hospital overnight,” he said.
Khun Sroy, 39, who was recuperating at home after being treated at hospital, believes that the source of the bug was almost certainly the mixed salads that were served at the party.
“I suspect mixed vegetables and not the rice wine were the cause of the sickness because my children were also struck down after having it,” she said. She suggested that the farmers may have used chemical pesticides which were not washed from the vegetables before they were served.