Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Workers ‘win’ after Kandal factory strike

Workers ‘win’ after Kandal factory strike

Nearly 2,000 workers at a Kandal province garment factory had returned to work on Saturday and 6,000 more planned to return today after nearly three weeks of strikes, company and union representatives said yesterday.

Yung Wah Factory administrative director Ing Minchuan confirmed yesterday that the roughly 2,000 workers at Yung Wah Factory 1, in Takhmao town, had returned to work on Saturday and the 6,000 workers at Yung Wah Factory 2 had pledged to return today.

“They promised me they would return to work on Monday,” he said.

Chea Mony, president of the Free Trade Union, said the workers had begun striking at the end of December.

But Ing Minchuan said only the workers at Factory 1 had been striking since December and that workers at Factory 2 had been on strike “for a couple of days”.

Union representatives had met with their corporate counterparts on Thursday, Chea Mony said, making six demands: that the factory provide at least 15 days’ notice before closing; provision of annual-leave payouts in case of closure; that the factory pay workers through the end of the month if the factory closes in the beginning or middle of the month; and that the factory pay workers five per cent of their monthly salaries on the termination of a worker’s short-term contract.

The workers also sought a severance package that would pay workers salaries equival-ent to how long they had been at the factory, he said.

Although the company refused to meet the demands, it agreed to provide a US$25 bonus to each worker, if workers agreed to return to the factory.

“The strike resulted in workers getting $25 as an annual incentive and an award of $7 for the striking period,” Chea Mony said.

Sok Socheat, a 30-year-old worker at Factory 1, said the workers had been “lucky” that the Free Trade Union had intervened in the dispute.

“Without the union’s help,  three weeks’ worth of striking would have been for nothing,” she said.

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Google Angkor

Google's 3D Angkor online

Drawing on over one million photos, Google has taken the Angkor Wat temple complex into the digital realm, allowing anyone with internet access to enjoy 360-degree panoramic views of 100 of the ancient temples.

97' grenade attack commemoration

Back in the streets

Thousands of CNRP supporters march through Phnom Penh

This month 20 years ago...

1994-04-08 07:00
House adjourned over Chakrapong
1994-03-25 07:00
Govt elated by $777m aid total
1994-04-08 07:00
Thais to plant border listening devices
1994-04-08 07:00
Govt rethink urged on tax, accounts
1994-03-25 07:00
Ministers muddy press law waters
1994-04-08 07:00
Sailor arrested for killing shipmate