Search form

Login - Register | FOLLOW US ON

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Xayaburi construction forging ahead

Xayaburi construction forging ahead

Construction of the main structure of the supposedly on-hold Xayaburi dam could begin by the end of this year, the Thai company contracted to build it said yesterday.

Ch Karnchang chief executive Plew Trivisvavet said preparatory work at the site of the proposed US$3.8 billion, 1,285-megawatt dam in northern Laos was being undertaken – with the aim of beginning to build the main dam structure on the Lower Mekong River by December.

“We have entered the area for some relocation work and to prepare for the construction of the reservoir,” Plew told Reuters. 

“We haven’t received a formal letter from the Lao government that we should suspend or put the project on hold.”

Various statements from Lao government officials, including Foreign Minister Thongloun Sisoulith, have said only preparatory work had been approved pending further studies of environment impacts on countries such as Cambodia.

Kirk Herbertson, Southeast Asia policy co-ordinator for International Rivers, said even initial construction could disrupt fish habitats and sediment flow.

“If you look at the 1995 Mekong Agreement and international law, they do not make a distinction between preparatory work and final structural work,” he said. “The Laos government is actually making an artificial distinction about this.”

Thongloun could not be reached for comment yesterday.

To contact the reporter on this story: Shane Worrell at shane.worrell@phonmpenhpost.com

0

Comments

Please, login or register to post a comment

Latest Video

Phnom Penh eats: Homegrown veggies at Bayon Beoung Snor

​Nestled along National Road 1, Bayon Beoung Snor is a farm-cum-restaurant. The team grows their own vegetables, which they then use to whip up traditional Khmer food.

Bill Clough reflects on The Phnom Penh Post's 25 year history

The Post's publisher Bill Clough, under whose leadership the publication went from a fortnightly to a daily one, discusses his investment in Cambodia, his vision for the paper in an increasingly digital age,

NEC officials tally votes during a recount last week in Phnom Penh.

Cambodia’s National Election Committee last week rejected 33 of 61 complaints filed over the conduct of June 4’s commune election, according to a s

Comfrel Executive Director Koul Panha speaks to the press at a meeting yesterday in Phnom Penh.

As the National Election Committee launched into the recount proc