Subscribe Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Youth NGO says there was no coup plot

Youth NGO says there was no coup plot

Youth NGO says there was no coup plot

Scores of youths yesterday called on Phnom Penh Municipal Court to drop charges against four people who last month were accused of producing and distributing materials encouraging a military coup.

In a petition thumbprinted by more than 130 members of local NGO Youth for Peace, the group says there was insufficient evidence to link the four to any anti-government plot.

“Our youth just wanted to distribute flowers with no purpose of taking down the government,” Youth for Peace representative Heng Samnang said.

Tout Chanpanha and Sok Dalis were arrested on August 15 as they picked up flowers, while Heuy Borin and Lin Lipheng were arrested for printing materials with allegedly anti-government sentiments. Police claimed the group had been preparing to hand out flowers bearing messages for soldiers to turn their guns against the government.

All four refuted the accusations and insisted they harboured no anti-government sentiments.

On August 20, the group was released on bail, though the charges still stand.


  • Kak Channthy, Cambodian Space Project frontwoman, killed in crash at 38 [Updated]

    Updated 5:05pm, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 Kak Channthy, frontwoman of popular The Cambodian Space Project, was killed Tuesday morning in a traffic accident in Phnom Penh. She was 38. Channthy, the internationally recognised singer-songwriter also known as “Srey Thy”, was reportedly travelling in a tuk-tuk on the city's

  • Australians protest Asean summit visit by PM Hun Sen

    Hundreds of protesters gathered in Sydney’s Hyde Park on Friday to protest against Cambodian strongman Hun Sen, who claimed to have been gifted millions of dollars by the Australian government ahead of a special Asean summit this weekend. An estimated 300 protesters, the majority of

  • One Australian, one Cambodian killed in explosion at military base

    Updated: 5:20pm, Friday 16 March 2018 An Australian tourist and a Cambodian soldier were killed in an explosion on Thursday afternoon at an army base in Cambodia’s Kampong Speu province. The Australian, whom the government initially identified as a technical demining expert in his 40s, and

  • Peeling back layers of prehistory in Battambang

    When the man passed away, he had not yet reached 50. He belonged to a tribe that had settled near the Sangker River in Battambang province, likely cultivating the fields and raising animals. On the side, they hunted for boars, and even turtles, one of which