Search

Search form

Logo of Phnom Penh Post newspaper Phnom Penh Post - Youths to march for justice over shooting

Youths to march for justice over shooting

Youths to march for justice over shooting

More than 300 youth from around Cambodia plan to rally on Friday to demand justice for the man killed during the opposition party’s three-day demonstration last month.

Participants from a variety of universities, high schools, youth clubs, civil societies and other groups will march from Wat Phnom to Phnom Penh Municipal Court, according to Meng Heng, 23, a representative of Khmer Kampuchea Krom youths, one of the organisations coordinating the rally.

“We collected 350 thumbprints … and we will send the letter with those thumbprints to City Hall tomorrow for permission to rally,” he said.

Heng added that the youth want to urge police and investigators to find the perpetrators who killed Mao Sok Chan and punish them through the law.

Mao Sok Chan, 29, a construction worker and father of four, was shot in the head at the Kbal Thnal overpass while trying to return home during the night that protesters, commuters and security forces clashed. At least nine others were wounded on the bridge during the incident, in which police opened fire with live ammunition.

Mao Sok Chan’s uncle, Khim Phorn, 28, said yesterday that he will join Friday’s rally.

“I will join … in order to urge the authorities to work harder to find justice for Mao Sok Chan,” said Khim Phorn, adding that he was not aware of any investigation into the case.

Choun Sovann, Phnom Penh municipal police chief, and Choun Narin, deputy municipal police chief, declined to comment yesterday.

Six men were arrested and charged with destruction of property and assault following the Kbal Thnal overpass clashes.

Four of the men were granted bail and released from prison last Thursday, but another two remain in prison for further investigation.

Am Sam Ath, technical supervisor for Licadho, said yesterday that the court should have released all of the suspects as they were being held for identical charges.

“The lawyer of two accused [who remain detained] filed the complaint against the Phnom Penh Municipal Court’s decision … yesterday,” he said.

RECOMMENDED STORIES

  • Breaking: PM says prominent human rights NGO ‘must close’

    Prime Minister Hun Sen has instructed the Interior Ministry to investigate the Cambodian Center for Human Rights (CCHR) and potentially close it “because they follow foreigners”, appearing to link the rights group to the opposition Cambodia National Rescue Party's purported “revolution”. The CNRP - the

  • Rainsy and Sokha ‘would already be dead’: PM

    Prime Minister Hun Sen on Sunday appeared to suggest he would have assassinated opposition leaders Sam Rainsy and Kem Sokha had he known they were promising to “organise a new government” in the aftermath of the disputed 2013 national elections. In a clip from his speech

  • Massive ceremony at Angkor Wat will show ‘Cambodia not in anarchy’: PM

    Government officials, thousands of monks and Prime Minister Hun Sen himself will hold a massive prayer ceremony at Angkor Wat in early December to highlight the Kingdom’s continuing “peace, independence and political stability”, a spectacle observers said was designed to disguise the deterioration of

  • PM tells workers CNRP is to blame for any sanctions

    In a speech to workers yesterday, Prime Minister Hun Sen pinned the blame for any damage inflicted on Cambodia’s garment industry by potential economic sanctions squarely on the opposition party. “You must remember clearly that if the purchase orders are reduced, it is all