A bad batch of noodles is believed to be behind the food poisoning of almost 300 people, many of whom had attended an engagement ceremony in Kampong Thom province’s Santuk district on Monday night, police said yesterday.
Seung Phea, Prasat commune police chief, said that some of the guests were vomiting up blood in the hours after the ceremony. Those affected included the bride’s mother.
“About five hours after eating the noodles, the villagers had symptoms of nausea,” he said.
Many of the 283 people – guests and their family members who had eaten the leftovers – were taken to health clinics or hospitals, he added.
One guest, Bin Neng, 21, gave birth to twins at the district hospital after the ceremony, despite still vomiting up blood.
Sam Ny, director of Prasat Commune Health Center, said that the noodles were likely to blame.“But we still do not know exactly what toxins were in the noodles,” he said, adding tests would be carried out.
The noodles were ordered from a man named “Deung”, said the bride’s mother, Sech Sorphea.